Pages

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Let's Be the Wand!

It's almost Sunday so I'm going to get all serious for a sec. 

Last Sunday I laid in the room in the house where my great grandmother Constance was born over 100 years ago. I read the beautiful history her daughter, my grandmother, wrote about her and her family and I got choked up. These are my people, I thought. 


I have people. 


Constance is one of my people. She has a mysteriously tragic story, which I will tell sometime. She did something that caused deep shame to her family and had an indelible effect on her posterity. But she is mine. I come from her. And I am honored to have her as my people. 


I wish I could hug her right now and tell her that all love is a blessing, even if it's short lived. And that no love is wasted, even if it's ill-timed.


I hope she saw it that way when she was alive, but I'll never know.


This post is not about my great grandmother. This post is about April from Springrose Journals, who is making the 2nd magic quilt. She needs our help. 


Springrose didn't do anything shameful, but I wish I could hug her too and tell her that all love is a blessing, even if it's short lived. And that no love is wasted, even if it's ill-timed. 


Springrose just lost a baby. It's the second pregnancy that has ended in a miscarriage in the past year and a half. I was hoping the magic quilt would miraculously keep her baby growing, but it was not to be. So now she needs our magic more than ever. She needs more fabric to finish the quilt because she is anxious to work and get her mind off her grief. 


Stan and Lila (the recipients of the first magic quilt) are sending her fabric as we speak. My MIL is donating fabric as well, and I brought home a quilted shower curtain from my aunt and pillow cases from my grandmother.


Please, if you have a story of healing or faith or inspiration or comfort or joy, (and who doesn't) and you have a piece of fabric which either represents that story or which you actually wore or used, please send it to April so she can make some magic and experience comfort from you. 


Please, please, pretty please. Dummies with stone cold hearts don't usually beg but here I am on hands and knees, because not only is one of our friends in need of a little magic, but there is a whole world in need of a little magic. 


Let's be the wand.


Here's a poignant comment on my Magic Quilt blog from Aunt Claudia: 

Isn't this what God does with our lives? Takes all the scraps in our journey and sews them together with strength, love and healing.


Did I already say let's be the wand?


I know my great grandmother Constance would give Springrose a hug too. There was no written record of her life, but at her funeral her bishop said, "Whenever I had to call upon the Relief Society to aid me in giving service to those in need of help, Sister Connie was always the first one to come forth." 


See why I'm so honored to have her as my people?


In her scrapbook two words, "my favorite" were written next to this poem: 


The Holy Supper is kept, indeed
In whatso we share with another's need;
Not what we give, but what we share,--
For the gift without the giver is bare; 
Who gives himself with his alms feeds three,
Himself, his hungering neighbor and me. 

(From The Vision of Sir Launfal). 


If you want to send fabric, email me for the address. MAHALO!


5 comments:

Kazzy said...

Oooo, I am very curios to hear about your great-grandmother. And you are right about love never being a waste. I agree whole-heartedly.

And I think your quilts are awesome. I will look for fabric in my closet where I used to store that kind of stuff.

Sunny said...

Very grateful!The longer use of computers, the more software installed, registry garbage inside the computer registry will be more. Most of the software will add unnecessary junk to the registry which makes the computer crash or slower and slower. so we need registry cleaner software to slove the problem.I talked
about it on my blog, if you have interest in it following me.

val of the south said...

I really will send fabric this time...I promise!

I'll email you for the address pronto!

I'm listening to your playlist...a great soundtrack for late night blog reading - thanks!!

amber_mtmc said...

Crash, will you e-mail me directions? I don't even know what a swatch of fabric is or how to send it! (Although, we abide in the same state so maybe I don't have to mail it.)

The Crash Test Dummy said...

YAY! Kazzy, please please do find some fabric. And with your bee-U-tiful deep, inspirational writing skills, please write a story.

Val. YAY! YOU too. I'm going to go email you right now.

Amber, please send that amazing story you wrote for Service Soapbox. The swatch of fabric just has to be a 12X12 piece of material. I'll come to your blog and explain it. Or go to my Magic Quilt blog.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

P.s. Wouldn't it be cool if we got some ancient Chinese fabric in there too? ha ha And some computer software. hee hee