Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Bless his little champion heart

In my last post I talked about the heart of a champion, but what I didn't mention is that the heart of a champion differs dramatically from the stomach of a champion.


The heart of a champion feeds itself. It can live forever on the eye of the tiger, gangsta rap, and YouTube videos of Ray Allen shooting drills. The stomach of a champion is much more demanding. It needs protein shakes and fruit smoothies, spaghetti and steak, hash browns and omelets, and lots and lots of peanut butter.


In other words, the stomach of a champion needs mommy to feed it.


And to drive it around.


I guess that's why I was so touched when my hub patted my leg on the way home from the high school championship game and said, "thanks for all the sacrifices you have made to feed our son's champion stomach this past year. And to drive it around."


Granted, he was caught up in the moment, and still reeling from the victory, but still, it was nice to be acknowledged for the life path I've been forced into choosing.


I've thought a lot about the heart of a champion over these past few days and I've come to the conclusion that I have misjudged my son. What I always thought to be the heart of an annoying teenager, was actually the heart of a champion. His calling or texting me three times a day to make sure I got him to practice on time--not annoying, just deeply dedicated.


His NOTHING but NIKES position on sock wear--not annoying, just rigidly committed (to getting more "air").


His Gatorade Sports G Series consumption by the case--Prime, Perform, Recover--not annoying, just expensively replenishing.


But fer reals, my daughter has always said that my son is lucky--he seems to have the midas touch--but now I realize that luck comes to those who work hard.


(Someone should make an inspirational fridge magnet out of that.)


From the time my son was a toddler, my hub and I have whispered to each other under our breath, "may he choose good things because what he chooses, he will get." He's the most persistent, dedicated, focused, driven, self-motivated, annoying person I've ever given birth to.


And I'm so dang proud of him.




Over the past 18 months he's made some difficult decisions and sacrifices and risen above some of the most hurtful criticism of his young life.


But he pushed through it and never took his eyes off the prize.



Bless his little champion heart.


16 comments:

Susan said...

That ain't cuttin' it, Crash. I need a play by play of why the heck your fourteen year old (right?) son is the one cutting the net down! Wouldn't that mean he was like the MVP, or he made the winning shot or something? I played high school ball and I NEVER got to cut the net down. But that tells you I wasn't a champion.

Actually, we only won two games in two years.

Congrats to you and your boy!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

No, no, no, you silly goose, he wasn't MVP. He won't be MVP for a few years, as he is only a freshman and mostly plays JV and Soph. Everyone on the team and all the coaches got to cut down a piece of the net.

Leslie said...

Awwwww...awesome Debbie but without you that young man wouldn't be the champion he is today...girl you did good!

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Congrats to you and your son. I think you are both champions. And it is nice to think that you can be a champion taxi driver and champion chef.

Melanie Jacobson said...

Love it.

Smart Helm said...

Congrats 2 ur son! U know he got his drive, dedication, persistance and annoyingness from somewhere. Just sayin.

Stephen said...

Awesome!

TisforTonya said...

I was going to just leave an "Awesome!"... but Stephen beat me to it...

now I have to pretend I understand Basketball enough to leave a meaningful comment?

the shorty me just never got into it... but I can be thrilled for your son anyway :)

as I run to the kitchen for my PowerAde...

Martha said...

Could you please make us a highlight video of Zacher? Tom's been watching Jimmer videos and it's really inspiring him. He begs me to show him more. So Tom needs to see some Zach in action.

Did you see Tai Westley got WAC player of the year? Hiagi and Susan and smiling ear to ear this week. Let's see in about 7 years that will be Zach, wait 9, 2 years for the mission.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Zacher. ha ha I like that! How cute that Tommy watches him. He is amazing.

I wish I had highlight videos, but you have just inspired/shamed me into getting on it!

There were a few super awesome moments this season. One was the game where he made 8 three pointers. Another one was the game where he made a half court shot at the half-time buzzer. Nothin' but net. And then at the final buzzer he made a three pointer for the win. I wish I had video.

Bad mom!

Martha said...

I guess you'll just have to do a slide show then. I better take more videos of Josh so I can send them to Brad Pearce.

Vern said...

I love those mom paydays! I wish there were more of them. With more dressing on the side.

Unknown said...

It is so fun to see your kids growing up and conquering challenges. Yay for your son and his heart! and for you and yours!

lori said...

ps. blogger keeps saying that I can sign in as soon as I submit my comment, then it submits my comment as my daughter. The previous comment was from me.

wendy said...

the road to success and achievment may seem annoying to some....BUT YAY.....he did it.
He rose above...and didn't take his eye off the prize.
what more could a parent ask for...In ALL aspect of our childrens lives.
DON'T EVER take your eye off the prize

anonomous said...

HE MADE OUT WITH SOMEONE..............just so you know.