Pages

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Ahhhh herbs!

My neighbor has been growing an herb garden to help his wife through breast cancer. (She just finished Chemo/Radiation and looks incredible.)


Today he generously dropped off a cluster of different herbs for us to enjoy. Problem is, he left them with my husband so the only thing I knew for sure was that they smelled delicious. I spent the afternoon with my nose pressed against them, inhaling deeply . . .mmmm . . . all the luxurious aromas swirling around me, transporting me straight to all those romantic encounters in Greece that never actually happened.

Hail lavender! Hail coriander! Hail parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme! (and hail Crosby, Stills and Nash while I'm at it).

This wasn't my first encounter with fresh herbs. Last Christmas this very same neighbor gave me a mint/lavender bath soak in a bottle. It was positively otherworldy--cleared my sinuses, opened my pores and sent me noodle-kneed into a deep and restful slumber where I dreamt of nothing by sugar plummed fairies all night.

So, today, for good reason, I was anxious to get down to business with these herbs.

But first I had to figure out what was what. After consulting with Dr. Google I found that I had me some parsley, sage, basil, rosemary and chives. It wasn't lavender and mint, but nevertheless, I threw them all in a pot of boiling water, anxious to let the healing begin.


Mmmmm . . . can you smell that?

Before soaking in a healing bath, I decided to give myself a healing facial sauna, with the promise that the pleasant herbal steam would penetrate deeply and cleanse every pore. I pulled my hair away from my forehead and bent over the pan, I draped a thick towel over my head to confine the vapors and I inhaled the herbal mist. But just as my pores were about to open up, my face melted off.

NOTE: I recommend removing your mascara before trying this at home. And try to pick a private time when your kids won't walk in with their friends and wonder why in the world you're melting your face off.



But if they do walk in on you, don't hesitate to let them melt their faces off too.

Next I scooped the herbs out of the pan and poured the herbal magic into my bath.



If you get freaked out by floating things in the tub, I recommend you strain the herbal magic before adding it to your bath.

I personally don't get freaked out by floating things so I settled into the water, took a deep breath and closed my eyes.

Aaaah, herbs!, I thought. Parsley, sage, rosemary, basil and chives.

Wait! Did I just say parsley, sage, rosemary, basil and chives??

suddenly it was all very clear. I wasn't sitting in a bath, I was sitting in a broth. All I needed were some chopped carrots, onions and potatoes and I would have made a lovely stew.

Next time I'll read the directions.

No comments: