Pages

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

NEW YORK CITY: Day 1

When you're in New York City things that would normally drive you crazy, say in California or Illinois, don't bother you at all.  

Like when your waitress curtly tells you that there is a $10 minimum order per person.  

And then she gives herself an 18% tip without your consent.  

And then you end up paying $58 for a handful of French fries and some grenadine.  

And then the grenadine doesn't even make you tipsy because, DUH! grenadine is non-alcoholic pomegranate juice.  

And then you pay $5 for an all-you-can-eat buffet, only to find out at the that it's $5 per lb. You can eat all you want in New York City for $5 a lb.  

And then the toilet at Toys R Us flushes every thirty seconds, ready or not--plus they post a graphic picture in every stall of how to flush.

If you were in New Mexico or Colorado and Toys R Us was showing you how to flush the toilet and then flushing it for you every thirty seconds, you'd be ticked.

But it's New York City, so WHO CARES!

New York City makes it up to you.

In New York City Elmo may charge your daughter $1 to get a photo with him.


But the ducks are free.


And what other city provides lawn chairs in the middle of the road so you can relax in Times Square?


And what other city will make your dreams of taking your kids to a Broadway play come true?



I'm a total Shrekie! A Shrekie through and through. And Shrek the Musical DOES NOT DISAPPOINT, Peeps! I laughed so hard I cried. And I cried so hard I laughed.

And where else can you not sleep in a city that doesn't sleep? 

Who has time to sleep? 





I'm just saying. 

BTW, Anjeny!  I get to see your daughter sing tomorrow at ground zero. I'm going to give her a hug from YOU!  

LY everyone!  Wish you were here!  

Seriously!

19 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Oh, those first few things made me laugh because they are so, so true.

The Songer said...

i heart NY!

The last time i was there was two weeks before sept 11 happened! Enjoy ground zero tomorrow!

The kids look like they are having so much fun! T is soo pretty!

Melanie Jacobson said...

Oh, I am so, so, so jealous of you right now.

April said...

shrek can sing? who'd have thunk? I am still sooo jealous! You HAD to sneak that picture in of WICKED in didn't you! That's just mean!

I'm kind of scared of Elmo now. Maybe you should have a talk with your daughter and make sure she is ok after her encounter with creepy Elmo. ewwwww!

Anjeny said...

Oh I'm soo happy you get to see my daughter I could cry..awww. Yes you give her a hug and a poke in the eye, that's for all the poking she keeps sending me on FB..lol.

She will be calling in a little bit so I'll let her know to keep an eye out for ya.

Your kids look like they are having the time of their life.

MakingChanges said...

Holy Moly, girl. Looks like you are partying it up in the Big Apple.

Ya, I can definitely see how those things really wouldn't bug you since you are having the whole NYC experience. It would bug me anywhere else, too, except for maybe Hawaii, if that were to happen to me in Hawaii. And do you know why it wouldn't bug me in Hawaii? Because I would be in Hawaii! (Could I have said/typed Hawaii anymore times????)

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

I wonder if now I am good and don't need to spend the time or money to go to New York. No probably not. But thanks for the valiant effort. I am so glad we don't have to go without hearing from you for however long you are going to be gone. And I guess I can add Shrek to my list of must see musicals but haven't had the opportunity to see yet.

Haynsy said...

$5 per pound for a buffet! Sorry, it's a slap in the face to hard working Americans to charge by the pound.

New York is offically off my bucket list.

Barbaloot said...

I didn't even know Shrek had a musical! Looks like fun so far---go to Cosi's (it's on just about every other corner) and get a sandwich there for me! I WISH they had that restaurant in the west!

I am LoW said...

Awesome!! Is this the trip that will also land you in DC? Are you remembering to leave me a secret message there???

By the way, last night on SYTYCD, your fellow dummies danced!! Seriously! I was going to send you a link to see, but I can't find one. Phooey.

But don't forget to leave me a message in DC!! :)

TisforTonya said...

I think I'd learn to eat lighter if I had to pay $5 a pound... salad, no dressing?

Smart Helm said...

What a moment... I'm sure I just saw all these SAME pictures in "Confessions of a Pioneer Woman". Hmm... must not be much 2 do in NY :-).

Glad ur having fun!

Smart Helm said...

I meant wait.. not What. Duh me.

lori said...

those self flushers can be a huge problem when you are trying to potty train, when my kids were little they'd get so scared by the sudden flush!---maybe the pictures are there for all those still learning??? Good to see you're having so much fun!....and i hope elmo didn't charge you a buck for the pic of his back :)

Alyson | New England Living said...

I was thinking that I need to go see Shrek the Musical! I'm glad to hear that it actually is good. I will be buying tickets!!

Your kids wonder and awe reminds me of my kids when we go to the city. I love it!!

Emily Anne Leyland said...

Oh how fun!!! YOu are so close yet so far away :)

Have fun and when and if you see Alyson give her a big hug from me.

Martha said...

Thought you'd like to know that the two kids you left at home are doing fine.

W said he didn't need a bath but we took one glace at his feet and he actually agreed that a shower would be nice.

Waking G up today was a challenge. Wyatt had to shake and kick and throw him out of bed. I guess he was a tired boy.

They are now at Cub Scout Day Camp and hopefully having fun. They took egg salad sandwiches.

Josh is up there too finishing his dreaded merit badge. Guess what, they are going to publish the article I sent in about his eagle project in the national USTA magazine!!! He'll be famous!!

I think I'll make them musubis for tomorrow's lunch. They'll like that.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Hi Everyone!

First of all THANKS Martha for taking such good care of my twins. It's so nice to know they are in good hands. They called me a few times at 2 or 3 a.m. this morning, completely oblivious to the time change.

I have so much to tell you all. I don't know if I will be able to keep my eye lids open to post it all. I have to try or it will all pile up in my mind and weigh me down.

BTW, Anjeny, the choir went on half and hour early and by the time we got there they were gone. SO SAD. I'm going to try to go to their hotel.

Also, sadly Alyson didn't get to come to Wicked tonight. MISSED YOU ALY. But I think your daughter will LOVE Shrek. Maybe even more than Wicked. It's that gooooood!

Okay, I better go post some photos.

Mariko said...

So JEALOUS.
HMPH. I'll go sulk in the corner of my island now.