Pages

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Why do birds suddenly appear?

You thought I was going to say "every time you are near," huh? huh? huh?

You thought I was going to post about how romantic it is to have my hub home on the range again, huh? huh? huh?

Well this post isn't about me and my fairy tale life, it's about three of my students who all got engaged while my hub was out of town.

How cruel and unusual is that?

First was WOLFGANG! My favorite student, (until he wanted to push Jean Val Jean down the stairs).



So he writes a message in a bottle and buries it in the sand for his girlfriend to find. Personally I think it would have been more romantic if he had cast the bottle into the ocean and waited until it washed ashore. It would have been worth it to see if it was true love.

Next was Wil. As the story goes, he takes his girlfriend to England to his grandmother's beautiful garden--the size of a golf course, he says.


Apparently it's a marvelous night in England--the kind Van Morrison writes songs about. He and his girl do some moon dancing and then he takes her for a loverly stroll through the woods until they come upon a clearing where he has spelled out Will You Marry Me with candles.

How many freakin' candles does it take to ask someone to marry you? That's what I want to know.

(Well I do know, actually, because I asked. She's an eighty-candle woman.)

Last, but not least was Adam. And, as misfortune would have it, I just so happened to see the whole thing because I had taken my children to the theater to culturize them. We were watching The Princess Bride and Adam was playing Inigo Montoya when SUDDENLY! he pulls his real life girlfriend on stage and says "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, WILL YOU MARRY ME!"


(It would have been more romantic (and truthful) if he had added the "prepare to die" part.


I got engaged on Halloween. Creepy huh?

But it was fitting because the first time my hub told me he loved me was on Halloween.

Actually his exact words were "I think I love you," but something about the way he was kissing me made me believe it.

Four Halloweens later we were dressed as Michael and Janet Jackson and carving into a pumpkin when I found the ring.

He got down on one knee and said, "I think I want to marry you."

Then I jumped up and down and said, "I think I want to marry you too."

We've been living happily ever after ever since. (I think).

I would like to pass on to Wolfgang and Wil and Adam the same advice I received from my Gigi, who was struck by lightening 3 times but went on to survive a happily-ever-after marriage (until my Papa died) for some 60 odd years.

Drumroll, please . . .

TURN AND RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!

30 comments:

Barbaloot said...

Apparently I'm gonna have to come to your class and see if I can find a guy to marry me there:)

I am LoW said...

Oh no!! Don't run! Marriage ROCKS!!!! It's AWESOME!! ILOVEITILOVEITILOVEIT!!!!

I'm just sayin.

But I do. I really LOVE marriage and love SO much.

*sigh*

The Songer said...

Hahahaha! I would have totally agreed with you if I read this on saturday! me and the spouse were not agreeing so well!

So Guess what? my first date with my husband was on Halloween 1998! It was weird, we ended up at Ensign Point and watched other couples make out!

So was that so weird that he asked her in the middle of the play.. Did you ask for your money back? Too bad he wasn't Miracle Max Or the clergy man... it would have been funnier!

The Songer said...

I meant Ensign peak... sorry point is in laie!

Melanie Jacobson said...

Doesn't anyone just take their girlfriend out to watch the sunset from a lifeguard stand on the beach and then propose, and then wait patiently while she calls her grandfather to tell him the news and loses her sandal while she's dancing around and then patiently help her find it in the dark?

Sandi said...

Sounds like Melanie has a story for us :) I guess love and such is in the air- especially at my house. I wish your Gigi would come and tell my number 2 to run while she still can - maybe she would listen to her!

Sandi said...

and KK, when you venture over here, you just keep your big mouth shut!! no more airing our dirty laundry on Crash's blog you hear me?

springrose said...

Thats so sweet! Makes me remember when my hubby proposed at temple square. He wanted to do it in front of the Christus, but the sister missionary wouldn't leve, and he felt stupid getting down on one knee. So he took me by the left hand and asked if I wanted to go shopping for a replacement for the ring I was wearing on it. I wasn't sure if he was realy proposing or not so I said shure! That is how I got engaged, so romantic I know!! Makes both of us laugh now!!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Wouldn't that be fun if Barbaloot was in my class? Can you imagine the blog-a-mania we would have tattle-telling on each other? Especially if she got engaged to someone like Wolfgang. Maybe she could break up Wolfgang's engagement.

I would so blog about that.

Oh LO, you're just so darn romantic. I would love to be married to you (if I were bald and handsome).

But I know what you mean. If it hadn't been for Mr. Darcy I wouldn't have made it through my loneliness while my hub was out of town.

Iwa, I just bought a Sugarland watermelon and thought of YOU and your family.

Sandi, what dirty laundry? You mean that part about you thinking KK is a meany head.

Melanie J. DO TELL!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

hee hee Springrose. You are so cute.

Sandi said...

*sigh* they got to go clear to England to get engaged?

wv=hairrem....Wolfgang could have a harem if Barbaloot showed up!

Sandi said...

and yes KK is a meany head so there.

Cranberryfries said...

What fun ways to pop the question! Love your insert to the princess bride one. :)

Hubby and I got engaged on Halloween too. I love it. It was always his favorite holiday and now it's mine too. And we never forget to celebrate.

Just SO said...

Whoa mama!! An eighty candle woman! They need to make an LDS movie out of that proposal. For sho'.

Mariko said...

Jake always says I underplay the romance in his proposal.

Only 'cause I don't want anyone else to be jealous.

Sometimes I want to tell people to run the other way. I like to think I know when it's not going to work. Because I'm a fortune teller, y'know.

Good advice, except if you're standing on a pedestal.

Stephen said...

That was AWESOME! Great warning from the Crash test dummy. Loved it.

April said...

They should only run as fast as they can if they have long flowing hair and slow motion camera....it makes for better effects. But the long flowing hair should be on the girl not the guy...that would just be funny (or Fabio).

Is that why it is stinky in here...there's dirty laundry? NICE! hehehehe!!!

Homer and Queen said...

aaahhhh...young love!!!

MakingChanges said...

Very smart advice.

Hey, I like your proposal. That is just fabulous. Especially the "I think" part.

Now don't you think all of those proposals were overkill? Can't we live in a society where all you have to do is ask the father's permission then ask the would-be bride? Hmm???

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

I agree with who ever said it would have been better during the tru lub part of the play.

So sweet and sappy. I could eat this post with my pancakes.

Calidore said...

If taking your class is all it takes to get a proposal, I need to start saving for airfare...and tuition. My family has about given up hope...they're starting to lower their standards, how sad is that?

Cajoh said...

Must be Lub… must be lub.
(sorry about the Michelle Shocked quote).

Pretty cool that everybody's getting engaged. I'll have to write about my engagement adventures and how I proposed to my wife more than once (I guess I'm just a perfectionist).

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Ummm sound advice. Because it's always more fun to be married if you still feel like you are being chased! :)

annie valentine said...

Those poor dumb kids. They have no idea what they're in for.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Looks like your class is the new hitching post. Amen to Shelle-Block's thoughts.

The Songer said...

Okay I want to hear Mariko's Engagement story! Not that i want to go running in the other way, but it already sounds fun!

Tiffany said...

I got a little teary eyed reading about your proposal, I am a little mushy like that.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

ha ha ha ha ha

Okay first I'm totally giddy right now because I just finished my last class and I don't have to teach again until September. Wooooohoooooo!

On that note . . . ha ha ha ha ha

First to April on the slow motion running through a field of Daisys with flowing hair and dress.

High Five April.

Mariko, I always underplay my romance too because I don't want anyone to be jealous. And also because it's hard to romantic with Michael Jackson. Especially if you're Janet Jackson. I wish I could find a photo.

Sandi, I would LOVE to get in England as well. Maybe on the moors at dawn. Maybe with Mr. Darcy walking across those moors at dawn saying "you have bewitched me body and soul." Every man should be required to say bewitched at least once a week.

So, I thought exactly the same thing about the eighty candles.

Mariko, people want to hear your engagement story. The romantic version. Make us jealous--go ahead. And CaJoh let's hear yours too. Out with it.

I'm so laughing at Tiffany who is getting mushy over my creepy, insestuous, tentative engagement on Halloween. Of course it wasn't really creepy or incestuous or tentative so I'm thinking Tiffany knows how to read betweenst the lines.

Totally laughing at Annie Valentine. ha ha ha Oh Annie, you sound just like my Gigi. Doesn't she Stephen? Stephen knows. He didn't take Gigi's advice either. That's why he thought this post was awesome. He totally KNOWS!



Debbie, we have more in common than our engagement. Hmmmm I wonder what it is? We're just two peas in a pod. (Do you like Mountain Dew?)

Shelle, LOLOLOLOLOL. You are so profound.

nevadanista said...

Oh wow! Romance is in the air - congrats to all three couples :)

nevadanista said...

yesyesyes! I think barbaloot should go to BYU Hawaii and have you hook her up! I've seen the pics of those students you have ;-)