Pages

Monday, March 8, 2010

Touche!

You know what? March ain't that bad after all.  

Fo' reals.

My MIL was brilliant to force me at gunpoint to tie the knot in March.  I clearly see her wisdom now, especially this year, as it gave me the perfect excuse to badger my hub to death about taking me away for the weekend. 

That's right, I just returned from my TWENTY FIRST wedding anniversary get-a-way celebration extravaganza weekend.  

It was a totally spontaneous, last minute, snap decision which took me 3 weeks to orchestrate. 

We slipped away late Saturday night and drove through rain and sleet and snow to get to our secret destination, which was St. George.  We chose St. George because we spent our honeymoon there at the Four Seasons on Main Street. 

And also because my in-laws have a condo there so it was free. 

Plus it's our favorite place to break the Sabbath. 

Last time we broke the sabbath we were also in St. George, at Chuck-A-Rama. It was Valentines Day. Guess who else breaks the Sabbath in St. George on Valentines Day?  The Polygamists. Can you believe it???? Those Polygamist guys take all their wives to Chuck-A-Rama for Valentines Day!!  How weird is that? 

Poor plural wives. 

This time we broke the Sabbath soaking all-you-can-eat breadsticks into all-you-can-eat Zuppa Toscana soup at The Olive Garden.  Then we bought a bunch of Zeppolis and cruised down Bluff Street singing Paul McCartney's Silly Love Songs at the top of our lungs while doing nani nani boo boo at all the church going folks.  

That's as much romance as I get, peeps. 

Although I did try to spice things up a bit this year since I'm reading Twhylight for the very first time. You should have seen my hub's face when I pulled out the glitter and the fake fangs. 

Priceless. 

But seriously, speaking of fake fangs, I'm on page 300 now in Twhylight. I could have been further, but I read The Wednesday Letters in between page 98-99.  Two thumbs up for The Wednesday Letters, btw.

I couldn't put it down.   

But as soon as I finished reading it (and eating my adobado tacos from Albertos, and my mint Milanos from Flying J in Beaver, and walking around the Spanish Villas in Green Valley, and vacuuming up all the glitter, and watching the Academy Awards) I got right back to Twhylight

MUCH to say, but my lips are sealed until I turn the last page.  

My favorite part of my anniversary celebration extravaganza get-a-way weekend, besides lying in bed until 10:00 a.m. and treading water until noon, was coming home and hearing my daughter rattle on and on about how hard it is to be a mom and how she had to wash the dishes like threes times and how it took her an hour to get the boys to stop arguing and pick their clothes up off the floor. 

TOUCHE, my darling daughter!  Touche!

23 comments:

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

First!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

I'm so glad you could break the Sabbath! What better place to do it than under the shadow of a temple. Good for you Crash.

You sure did seem to eat a lot of food. You really should share the love there girlfriend. Send some of those mint Milanos my way....or at least send me a Girl Scout.

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

I much prefer orange milanos. did you go to the cheese factory in Beaver? A must stop in Beaver, especially if they have lemon custard ice cream. I have their number in my phone book and if they don't have that flavor, I don't feel as compelled to stop.

I didn't so much like the Wednesday Letters. No offence to you or Anjeny. I was forced to read it for book club and I don't think it lived up to the hype. but that is just me. I can't really remember much about it, so maybe I did like it.

And hip hip hooray for teaching your daughter important life lessons about how being a mom is hard.

The Songer said...

Happy 21!

T could totally be a mom in like 4 years (more or less).. is that scary? might as well teach um young!

katie said...

i love you!!! and not just because you break the sabbath like hmm hmm cough cough MOI but because you make me feel so "normally perfectly randomly oh so weirdly katie" and i LOVE that and NEED that!!!!! really need that...

where have you been hiding and why have we not been being the rebels of 825 E together!?!?!?! i mean...come on! we are few and far between!!!

happy 21! that is awesome and you are one to be admired for that and i'm glad that you had a great break and the fangs??? that would have been the best thing to be a fly on the wall for! hehehe

poor poor daughter...did you warn her that it gets FAR WORSE then that?!?! LOL hahahaha

*MARY* said...

If my husband took me to St. George to celebrate our anniversary I'd punch him in the gut.

I'm from St. George by the way.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Mary, my hub didn't take me to St. George, I took him to St. George. That's a double punch in the gut for him, don'tcha think? You're from St. George? I don't believe you, Mary. I don't believe a word you say.

Katie, we have both been hiding. Ain't it just crazy how really cool people can live practically next door and you don't even know it. ha ha As far as telling my daughter how MUCH WORSE it's going to get, I'm using the line upon line principle. Next time we go away we'll make sure someone gets sick or breaks a leg. And I won't go shopping or clean the house before I leave.

Iwa, lalalalalalala I'm NOT listening.

Nutty, I was disappointed with the end of The Wednesday Letters. It seemed heavy handed and out of left field. But I liked the writing.

Garden, I'm always in the shadow of a temple. In fact, my verifier is saying remple right now. Is that like temple and repent put together?

Someone is trying to tell me something.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Man Crash you are quick. Have you done a remple session recently?

Martha said...

I just did the dishes for the fifth time and came by to check if you wrote anything. Happy Anniversary to you guys. Glad you could get away. I'm going to plan something for our 20th this Dec. but don't tell my hub or he will freak out.

He's already freaking out because he wants to buy a house. Ok, this house is a total wreck and it's only $500,000. What a deal!!! I'm more hesitant, so now he's promising to build a tennis court in the front yard (well a sports court because we have to play bball there too).

Martha said...

I can't leave the townhouses. Although I'd say if we do move it's easier because you guys aren't here to move away from.

Barbaloot said...

I'm glad you're able to have fun in March but I still think it's the worst month in the history of months.

TisforTonya said...

gee - I went to St. George to celebrate my last anniversary too... only it didn't involve any driving at ALL so it was a bit of a let-down! (although I didn't punch him in the gut... I like it here)

Wednesday letters was okay - not as lusty and glittery as Twhylight (haha, great word) but a good book.

Jovan King said...

Nice post!
follow me back
www.jovanking.blogspot.com

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Martha, the townhouses would dry up and wither away without you there. And anyway, which house in Laie would allow room for a tennis court in the front yard? huh? huh? huh? You cracked me up so much with that image.

T, hee hee did you just say lusty? I think I'm almost to the lusty part in the book. It feels like it's heading that direction.

Okay, for all of you who read Wednesday Letters raise your hand if you thought JOE should have done it. Did anyone else think it was Joe? Was the author throwing us off course or what? I hate it when that happens.

Barb, can I just say TOUCHE to you.

Look at Jovan everyone. Does he really think all he needs to do is say nice post and I'll follow him back?

HA!

NIce is like my least favorite words in the dictionary. Unless it's said with the right "tone of voice" which it never is.

Fine is my 2nd least favorite word.

Garden, hahah No I don't have a remple recommend. I do have a temple recommend now at least.

Jillybean, you are so compassionate. ;)

Braden Bell said...

I am glad that your anniversary bacchanalia was great (the food alone sounds wonderful--especially the stuff from Flying J).

I am dying to hear your commentary on Twilight. I'll be watching Google reader obsessively.

Braden Bell said...

Happy anniversary, btw

Hey, my WV this time is IDEfunp

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Hey! Happy Anniversary! You were in my town girl!!! We breaketh the Sabbath sometimes also because we get spring fever in December! True story!

Glad you had a fantabulous time!!!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Braden, I'm glad you're back. Quite honestly I missed you. I don't think I'll be posting about Twhylight until tomorrow night, so don't hold your breath. But do tell what YOU thought! Do! Do! Do! Dying to hear a male slash published author perspective.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Hey, Shelle Belle! I was going to call you and T and April but my hub was so into the glitter and fangs I couldn't sneak away. ;)

Braden Bell said...

Well thank you, Crash, I missed being here, too. Got kind of busy and thought maybe I should do some actual work at work and all that.

I am honored to be asked about my opinions on Twilight--however, you wanted a male, published author. I am only a male soon-to-be published author. Consequently, I'm afraid I just don't meet the criteria.

It's tempting, though, very tempting!

Anjeny said...

FINE post!!
Follow me back.












Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!


I seriously couldn't resist that one..LOL.

Anjeny said...

Aight..back to business. Happy
21st. WOW!! All I can say on that one..LOL. I'm bit concerned about the polygamy thing..you seem to be obsessing over that. Are you guys going to be first one in line if it ever comes back...ahahah. You know what it's really early here and I seem to have inhaled some giggle bubble or something, I feel so giddy and stupidly silly this morning.

Hmmmm..you read the book. Yay!! Yes, I also thought it was Joe, yep, imagine my surprise. I did love the book but I seriously hate the fact that they were tooo forgiving. But all in all, I thought it was totally romantic and sweet that a man would write his wife every week..how sweet is that?

Your daughter is soooo adorable!! Did she not know she can make those boys do the dishes? She has her moment of totally wreak havoc on those brothers of hers and boss them around for a whole weekend but instead she mother them..poor girl, that is totally where she went wrong...ahahah.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

hahahah good one Anjeny,

Hey, I'm glad you thought it was Joe too. I thought the book was great. I really like the writing. And yes, how sweet to write a letter every single Wednesday to your wife. Why didn't our hubs think of that?