Pages

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Crash Crushing

Some of you were a little bit off in guessing my 3rd grade Crash crush yesterday. A few of you, including LoW, picked this guy here:

Honestly, I can't even remember that guy's name. Sorry to disappoint.

My x-door neighbor, Martha mentioned this guy on the back row:

She was kinda right. His name is Trent and we did share a few baby sparks before he moved to Santaquin.

But my stone-cold heart belonged to this guy standing next to me, Keith. (I always had a soft spot for guys named Keith.)

We almost look like a cute couple, don't we? Our arms so close, yet so far apart.

Especially compared to these arms:

April saw the foreshadowing and predicted this lub triangle. This is Susan--my competition, and, to make matters worse, one of my good friends.

I broke the 8th commandment a lot around Susan.

Unlike the rest of us, she wasn't afraid to wear Ditto jeans on picture day, and with each passing year she looked better and better in them.

If my mom said it once, she said it a thousand times, "Doesn't Susan just have the cutest little figure?"

Words like daggers to a girl whose figure went a little somethin' somethin' like this:


Is it bad that I felt a vague sense of redemption yesterday when one of my readers (The Mom) mistakenly identified Susan as in-the-running for my Crash crush? (hee hee hee) Serves her right for wearing Dittos on picture day.

While Susan's Dittos fit better and better with each passing year, Keith's hair got better and better too.

And my chances got worse and worse.

Until 5th grade . . . when a new bad boy moved to town.

Go on, take a guess.

I'll give you a hint--peach silk shirt.

That's right, Jeff McKay, and I even put his photo in a velvet heart and edged it with delicate lace.

Oh my goodness! What was I thinking? He was just using me all along to cheat off my spelling tests.

Too bad my hub and I didn't cross paths until high school. I know for a fact I would have been Crash crushing on him BIG TIME in third grade.

How cute is he???

By 5th grade he was definitely my particular brand of good boy/bad-boy.


I just know Kurt Russell has a photo exactly like this somewhere in his 5th grade photo album!




Okay, memory lane is closed. Tomorrow will be April, so let's talk about books-on-tape.





18 comments:

Barbaloot said...

Pink silk shirt, Crash? Really? That should've been your hint right there that he wasn't gonna be good for much. If I were you I'd have gone for the little red head in the front row.

PS-totally saw your mother-in-law yesterday at a bridal shower.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Oh Barb, that's right, you like red heads. ;)

I can't believe you totally saw my MIL at a bridal shower. HA ha HA. Did you feel like you knew her already?

Barbaloot said...

Yes-I am a fan of the red-heads:)

I thought about going up and giving your m-i-l big hug, but my mom beat me to it! I guess someone in my family knows her or vice versa or something. Who knows. Either way-the connections just keep on coming.

Homer and Queen said...

I'm with Barb. Peach silk shirt? Really? HAHAHHA

Will I see you at the games this year?

Unknown said...

I was gonna guess that tall guy in glasses, so I was way off. But I'm pretty sure I guessed the 3rd grade crush accurately. You two were practically making out in that picture. Seriously, some of us were very uncomfortable.

Martha said...

Tatum looks just like you and Wyatt looks just like Alan.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

I was way off. I was thinking it was the guy off in the corner looking off into outer space.

LBBlum said...

hahahahahah {snort}! oh excuse me! hahahhahhhahahahah..oh my goodness! Crash-- I love your perspective and reflective storytelling ability....
he-larious! heheheh... I can totally see your kids pouring over your photo books with you....
thanks for sharing...
such great pictures... and love all the childhood pics too... it's therapy...
lub ya!
oh- peter pani po po in the mail! Sent you a copy of the DVD! make sure to watch it with some mochi crunch popcorn...

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Swirl, YAY! I saw on the Laie bulletin that the DVD's were for sale and I was going to buy one, but now you've sent me one. YAY! I'm so excited to see it. You know my kids so well you can just imagine them pouring over my books and saying rude things about how freaky everyone looks, huh? They think Al has a unibrow in 5th grade and that FREAKS them out too. ha ha ha

LUB YOU TOO! How do feel about Martha moving away?

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Garden of EGAN, EWWW!

hee hee That was NOT my favorite kid.

Martha, I totally see Wyatt in that 5th grade shot too. And don't you think his 3rd grade pic looks like a mix between the twins? How was Adam's dance, btw?

Queen, YES, we just bought season tickets. I'll be meeting you and April and Barb and Pat at half time.

Barb it's a small world fo' sure. If only my MIL knew how much you KNOW. ;) Isn't she a cutie patootie!

Sandi said...

So I think I should win a prize for guessing it right, don't you? I know I kind of faltered for a minute but in my heart I knew it was him. Oh and Mr. peach silk shirt does indeed like a bad boy with those jeans and that belt and such as. haha

Jillybean said...

Hey! I totally guessed right!

The guy in the peach silk shirt looks like trouble. You should have known.

Tiffany said...

I loved Mr. Dowdle, your teacher, he was my 5th grade teacher and I remember we used to pray in class. Did you guys? I thought it was so cool.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Sandi, I'll send you some sheets of dried seaweed. You do deserve it, though I think April deserves it more. ;)

Jillybean, TOUCHE! When I look at him now I think what the what?

Tiffany, I LUBBED Mr. Dowdle too. He was the reason I started speaking out in public. For some reason he really helped me break out. I even kicked Terry Bradly in the shins that year for being the meanest kid in the class.

April said...

Wow! Mr Peach silk shirt is giving off some serious attitude. No wonder you liked him so much! But, bless your heart, how could you run around at recess in a long dress? Did you tuck it in your underwear?

Sandi said...

hahahah April! Didn't you Canadians have to wear dresses to school? The secret my friend is gym shorts underneath!!

Sandi said...

And yes, please donate my prize to April. I am no fan of seaweed. I will enter the next contest when there is a good prize, thanks.
oh and can you tell me how to make chicken long rice? my friend brought me a package for a prize and I don't know what to do with it, but man I love that stuff!

April said...

No! It was too cold in the igloos to store dresses silly! And besides, you can't tuck a dress inside your galoshes.