Pages

Monday, May 11, 2009

My Ho-Hum Mother's Day

This morning, whilst my daughter was doing her hair and giggling about how she figured out my username and password to break into my blog and steal my identity, I listened attentively in shock and awe.

It was as if I was seeing her for the first time. Or as if I'd seen her around before but had never been formally introduced. 

"Do I know you?"  I said.  "You look familiar, but I don't recognize the breaking and entering.  Oh, and the slandering. "

There were a lot of insinuations made by my family yesterday which could hurt my reputation as a dummy.

It appears that my children have inherited the big fish syndrome. They get it from their great-grandmother, Gigi. She's from Portage, Utah and everyone knows that people from Portage are bottle fed exaggeration. 

Besides being from Portage, Gigi was struck by lightening three times. You can't get struck by lightening three times without some serious scrambling to your genetic geography. 

That being said, allow me to clarify a few things.  My son, Wyatt said I was a really nice mom, but for the record, a week ago he accused me of treating him like a slave.   

As for my cooking . . . LOLOLOL.  I do not cook amazing meals, unless you call slapping a bowl of chili and rice on the table once a week scrumdidilyumptious. And yes, I do complain. Wah! Wah! Wah! are my favorite three little words. 

And as for pushing my son and helping my son with his homework . . . I never laid a hand on him. He tripped down the stairs all by himself.  Cross my heart!

If there's one thing I learned from Mother's day as my children were going around the dinner table accusing me of all sorts of outrageous acts of kindness and support is that it doesn't matter what you actually do for your kids, it only matters what they think you do for them.

Can I get an AMEN! 

So my Mother's day was just like an other Sunday. I woke up to my hub giving me a back massage. Then he took me for a walk on the beach. When I returned my kids had made pancakes and eggs and a delicious orange/banana julius. After breakfast I let them eat ice cream while I took a piping hot Cherry Blossom bubble bath. I got a long-stemmed rose at church and then my hub sang to me on the stand in front of everyone.  (Technically he was hiding in the corner behind a large plant, but he was moving his mouth so I'm counting it.)  My favorite part was when one of my twins leaned over and said, "Is he lip syncing?"

After sacrament my hub said "Do you want to skip Sunday School?"  We can run home and prepare your surprise Mother's Day dinner?"

"Let me get this straight!"  I said.  "You're asking me to ditch church so I can use my new knives to help you surprise me?"

He nodded.

"Okay!" I said. So we raced home and chopped potatoes. And then we sliced watermelon and pared watermelon and boned watermelon and scalloped watermelon. Don't tell my kids, but the watermelon turned out so pretty I set a few pieces aside for my scrapbook.

My new knives are incredibly SHARP! Let's just say I am stuck on band-aid and band-aid's stuck on me. I actually sliced a fingernail clean off in the onions. (But nobody has ever choked on a fingernail have they?) 

All in all it was a Ho-Hum day, except for the part where Anjeny came over and gave me a beautiful hand made mother's day card and a lovely letter.  She totally understands that my primary love language is words of affirmation.  

Mahalo, Anjeny!  You made my day.  (Some of the rest of you made my day too.)  

Hope all of you had a Ho-Hum Mother's Day too! 

19 comments:

val of the south said...

wv: thicili
this is silly that I am finally first!

val of the south said...

and second too aparently!

Unknown said...

Ahh, that's so sweet. I thought it was awesome how they hijacked your site. It made me giggle :)

I'm glad you had an awesome mother's day. You deserve it.

Anjeny said...

Crash..you are welcome. Glad to hear I made your day.

And I will definitely give a AMEN on what to what matters to kids are what they think mothers do for them.

So cool how your kids think chili and rice are amazing meal...my kids love chili and rice too. What is up with that anyways? Glad to read how your day went...hope you had a great nap today, you sooo totally deserve it.

Annette Lyon said...

I'd like to know what a non-ho-hum Mother's Day would be like for you. :)

The walk on the beach alone made me jealous.

sara said...

I'm jealous of the knives. Oh, and the skipping church part. Glad you had an amazing... I mean average day!

TisforTonya said...

we'll have to compare Six Star Scars - I've got some doozies from those knives... it took me a long time to get used to using knives that would actually CUT!

and as long as "Ho-Hum" translates to "4-hour nap" I had a really Ho-Hum mother's day :) Glad yours was full of beachy walks and church truancy!

Tiffany said...

You are adorable, truly adorable.

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

ya know... I have a feeling Anjeny likes you more than me... she didn't come to my door step and deliver any cards or anything??? Hmmmm...

No worries... I still love HER the same... I LOVE that you ditched out on church... I had to teach the Relief Society lesson on MOTHER'S Day...

Elders quorum totally didn't pull their weight yesterday!

Emily Anne Leyland said...

Ho-hum was my day too :)

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

I loves me a good lip sync.

Glad your day was ho hum. Sorry about the need for band aids.

Anjeny said...

LOL Shelle...I love you tons girl. I would so totally come knocking on your door bearing gifts if you aren't an ocean away. And I'd send something to you but then it would get lost since mailman from here have no clue where you are..lol.

Hey our Elder's Quorum didn't pull their weight either yesterday, there was no excuse from teaching classes yesterday. What is up with that?

Dolly said...

Amen!

By the way, you have inspired me once again and now looky looky at what I did.

dollysfollies.blogspot.com

Oh yes I did!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Hi everyone!

So tomorrow is Kristina P.'s birthday! WAHOO! Let's have a partay!

Sandi what day is your birthday. It would be awesome if it was on Wednesday because then we'd be soul sistah's from another mistah! Kinda like Shelle Belle and New England Aly. Anyway we're both Taurus the bulls. And I can check Facebook for the date.

Martha, EXACTLY! and EXACTLY! Yes, I'm a little unnerved by the potential for organized crime in my daughter. And SILLY GOOSE, I didn't really have a ho-hum day. Couldn't you tell? :)

Dolly Etta, I checked out your blog. YAY for YOU! So excited you started one so I can keep up with the life and times of Saudi Arabia.

T, thanks for the band-aid empathy. And NHC, thanks for the band-aid sympathy.

And Annette and Sara, thanks for the jealousy. A little jealousy does a girl good sometimes. I'm so excited ANNETTE LYON has been stopping by. I am so going to review her tower book again this week because it's not even really about towers.

Sara, LOL when you said you're jealous I ditched out of church. It made me think of your temple night post.

Congrats Val on being first. Hi Andrea. I'm so going to try to pump something out for venus mars for Friday. I've been a slacker.

Shelle and Anjeny. I'm feeling the LURVE!

Sandi said...

Well, the facebook sleuthing did not pay off, until I just blurted it out anyways huh.....so I'm thinking the whole week should be a party in celebration of all the bulls*hit that goes on in here....oops I meant to say in celebration of all the Bulls as in Taurus' oops. silly me.

nevadanista said...

Tatum really got my hopes up when she said she was going to write embarrassing things about you, but alas, she not :(

Maybe next year :)

Sounds like you had a splendid Mother's Day, and complete with skipping Sunday School too. Who could ask for more? :D

p.s. Why did you switch to the pop out comment box? Now I can't use spellcheck, which will undoubtedly expose me as the lame speller that I am.

I am LoW said...

You make musubi, that's something!!!

I think you are just being modest. Silly goose.

kasey kaufusi said...

my moms birthday is on the 16th! haha I think she also has a prize for you. My dad leaves wednesday so let me know!

Just SO said...

I don't know...slicing and paring and boning and scalloping watermelon sounds pretty exciting to me! Especially when band-aids come into the picture as well.

I hope you had a good Mother's day and enjoyed your watermelon.