Pages

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Something Strange and Unusual

You'd think with my hub being out of town I'd be blogging my brains out.  

But NO.  

Something strange and unusual happened.  

Normally I like to observe life.  I like to capture it, record it, interpret it, twist it, comment on it and wring it out to dry.  

But this weekend I just went ahead and lived it.  

For example, yesterday I attended the annual neighborhood Memorial day beach bash at Kawela bay and I don't have a single shred of photographic evidence to prove it.  

Wanna know why?   Because I didn't hover over, interrupt, surprise or stalk a single person.

I just.  simply.  talked to them. 

How weird is that? 

And I talked to my kids too.  All weekend long.

How weird is that? 

And we didn't just talk.  We also ate shrimp chips and watermelon and watched Ratatouille and the John and Kate Plus Eight marathon.  (PLEASE don't break up John and Kate!  What about the kids?  What about US?) 

We ate popcorn in the California King because we're not supposed to eat popcorn in the California king. 

We went to the movies because we could.   

We shopped at Target and ate at Blimpies because we never have.   

We've never ordered ice cream from Baskin Robbin's either so we did that too.  For some time now one of my twins has been begging me to take him to Robin Basket.  I finally figured out what the helk he was talking about so I decided to make his dream come true.  That's just the jeanie-in-a-bottle vibe I was riding this weekend.  

Which is why I accepted my daughter's invitation to take her to the the mall for a little Memorial day shop-like-you're-on-What-Not-to-Wear spree.  At first she was ticked because Macy's was the only store still open after 5 p.m., but the clearance racks were crammed full of interesting clothes--the kind of clothes that make you LOL in the dressing room because you can't figure out how to assemble and apply them to your body, but they look uber darling once they are applied, (even though your arms aren't quite in the sleeves).  

We don't have any photos to show for it, but we have oodles of complicated new clothing.

Today after the kids went off to school I thought about blogging, but I drove to the North Shore instead.    There's a walking path from Sunset beach to Sharks cove and I felt like giving my legs some rigorous exercise instead of my fingers. 

But if you don't mind, can I save that story for tomorrow?  Because right now I'm really busy sitting around listening to the birds chirp.  

MAHALO!   

And have a nice day. 

31 comments:

MakingChanges said...

Am I first???

MakingChanges said...

Woohoo! I was first!

MakingChanges said...

That is a total miracle. I'm going to read your post now. Sorry, I'm never first on your site, Crash, so I had to try. I am going to read your post, do the happy dance a few million times and then I will be back to comment.

Kristina P. said...

I was so excited that I was going to be first again! I've been slacking so much with the commenting. Kind of like Jon, with being a good husband.

MakingChanges said...

Now that sounds like a super fab weekend. Wish I could have been there.

OH, and seriously, please tell me you really did know what Baskin Robbins is. Please...I'll wait...

That walk sounded nice. With no one to push in a stroller, no one to yell louder than the birds chirping. Nothing to interupt some solitary quality time... I'm jealous!

Emily Anne Leyland said...

Sounds very nice indeed. It is good to back away fro the computer sometimes. I have been slacking BAD on my blogs but somehow I am OK with it :)

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Living life is TOTALLY overrated!!! And stop trying to make it sound fun and exciting... you can't tear me away from blogging my brains out!!!

I won't stand for it!

I'm going to picket in your comment box!

TisforTonya said...

I hope you're not suggesting that while blogging my brains out (well, sorta) I'm not totally enjoying my life... and I know what my kids are doing... they're right behind me playing Super Smash Bros - good wholesome entertainment... right up there with walking on the beach and trying on complicated clothes???? right???

okay, fine, tomorrow we'll DO something - summer break is TOO lazy at times !

Melanie Jacobson said...

These are the very BEST kinds of weekends.

P.S. Something bad happened to you on my blog today. Sorry.

P.P.S. I'm not really sorry.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Ha Ha T and Shelle, I so hope neither one of you ever stops blogging your brains out.

Did I sound snooty? I hope not. I'm just in rejuv mode. I think I did what Crash Test Dummies do best and hit a wall. I took a 3 hour nap on Friday and then went to bed at 9:30.

And I just got up from a 2 hour nap.

And I'm not even pregnant. Weird.

Ha ha Youngblood. I love to think of you doing the happy dance.

And YES I have heard of Baskin Robbins. But my son was calling it Robin Basket so I didn't get it. We never go there because my hub says it's too expensive.

But he's not here so NANI NANI BOO BOO!!!!!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Oh no Melanie, what did you do? I'm heading over now to assess the damage. ( I almost said access the damage. whew!)

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Sounds wonderfully relaxing. Sometimes it is good to just live and not be worried about documenting everything, isn't it.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

(ha ha ha ha ha) Melanie! You can't intimidate ME! I will sue for my good name. ;)

Kristian P.--ha ha about you and Jon. When are you going to CRASH, girlfriend?

The Crash Test Dummy said...

YES, PAT, it is, even when you give a lesson to the YW in church about personal records and you read them a talk by Henry Eyring where he gets a profound impression that says "I don't give you these experiences for yourself, WRITE THEM DOWN!"

It was a little hard not to feel guilty after that, but I'll get over it (maybe). ;)

Homer and Queen said...

You mean we are supposed to spend time with our kids? Do we have to? School is not our for us yet but I took McFly shopping for scrapbooking stuff to keep her busy this summer. Yeah me...

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

First of all don't you know hypocritical teaching is the betst form. Just ask me I do it every week in gospel doctrine.

Second of all, unless I am completely insane, which is completely and probably possible, you have written many things down. So just because you took a break for one day, well, I think Elder Eyring will understand.

Barbaloot said...

Shrimp chips? What are those? They sound interesting/maybe good.

Martha said...

I was going to ask you where the helk your camera was yesterday. I think I was the only one taking any pics at all. That party was pretty low maintance and that's why I had fun.

April said...

I haven't been BMBO or even CMBO (commenting my brains out) either! How rude. And if John and Kate break up for reals I'll cry some more! Do it for the kids.....SERIOUSLY!

Heidi said...

What the helk? I was raised on Robin's Basket. And World Class Chocolate is seriously the best BR flavor ever! And Jon and Kate . . somebody hold me. (Actually, I suspect it could be a ratings gimmick. Here's hoping).

Kritta22 said...

I'm glad you are living the life!

I never even got to watch jon and Kate plus eight....they can't break up.

Unknown said...

A nice refreshing walk. That sounds lovely. I like shopping for complicated clothing, it makes it fun.

I've been mia over here lately. It was nice to be able to pop over for a bit of Crash. I've missed your wisdom.

I am LoW said...

I hear ya sista!! I really do. Since my teens are striking against me and my camera, I think I am living life too. When I'm not sneaking around and taking pictures anyways, that is.

The Songer said...

Your weekend sounded awesome... i cant wait til school is done.. i plan to have many of those weekends...

I was so irritated watching Jon and kate... during the party you could see that she was purposely avoiding him! i literally wanted to take my TV and throw is at their head! They both need to get a grip and grow up!

Your playlist is playing... All you need is love! Okay... Jon and kate need a dose of that too!

Just SO said...

Sounds wonderful. Absolutely wonderful.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Oh you are so right Iwa! I wanted to poke them both in the eye!

Kritta, Lo, Andrea, I'm so happy to see you guys back. I miss Sandi. I guess everyone is living their life.

nevadanista said...

OMGosh! Something strange and unusual has been happening to me too - hence no comments or blog post for the last week. Who knew living life could be so fun?

(Last week I did go a little crazy on facebook though - but that's just between me and you)

Sandi said...

I love knowing that I am missed....awwwww shucks! FYI daughter number 2 got engaged last week and is wanting to get married the end of July------I guess I wont be sending her to Hawaii to meet you, huh? I am going to be going a little crazy for the next few months so you might get to miss me A LOT! p.s. fasting, prayer, donations on my behalf are all accepted. Mahalo

April said...

WHAT THE HECK SANDI!!! I have to come on here and find out that she's engaged? What the what???? You are in soooo much trouble!!! Now, what can I do to help?

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Sandi!!!! What!!! How does Kute Kasey feel about her sis beating her to the alter after she's been engaged for months and months? So NOT fair!

I saw Kute Kasey this morning going to class with her Fine Fiance. They are in the class right after mine.

Where do I send the donations? I owe you a millions dollars anyway.

I don't think I can spare you until the end of July.
SORRY! Not happening.

Mariko said...

Blah. Your weekends always sound so much better than mine. Let's switcharoo next time.